The veteran music executive issued his personal thoughts about TakeOff’s death via Instagram on Thursday (November 3) after having previously shared a formal statement from Quality Control Music. In the post, Coach K called his fallen artist one of the “kindest, humblest, [most] caring human beings” he’d ever met.
“I’m so sad that this young brother didn’t get a chance to grow old,” Coach K wrote. “Takeoff and I had similar characteristics very quiet, shy but very outspoken with charisma and knowledgeable of everything going on. I had a real connection with him like everybody that he came in contact with.”
Sharing his thoughts alongside the cover for The Last Rocket, TakeOff’s only solo release, Coach also recounted how he came to introduce the Migos rapper to artist Hebru Brantley. “Takeoff said I want him to do my album cover […] I wanna be on a rocket flying into space and we made it happen,” he wrote.
View this post on Instagram
“I’ll Love you Forever,” Coach K wrote in closing. “Young Brothers we have to stop this senseless violence this not cool. Young brothers & sisters should be giving a chance to get to grow old. PLEASE start caring about life more. I’m Truly Heartbroken.”
TakeOff (real name Kirsnick Khari Ball) was tragically gunned down in Houston early Tuesday morning (November 1). While Quavo – who was with TakeOff on the night he died – has yet to speak on the incident, their estranged Migos groupmate Offset updated his Instagram profile to a photo of his slain cousin on the day he died.
On Wednesday, Coach K and the official Instagram account for Quality Control Music shared a formal statement decrying the “senseless violence” that cut Takeoff’s life short at the age of 28.
“It is with broken hearts and deep sadness that we mourn the loss of our beloved brother Kirsnick Khari Ball, known to the world as Takeoff,” the statement read. “Senseless violence and a stray bullet has taken another life from this world and we are devastated.”
The Migos were the first act signed to QC when Coach K and P formed their partnership in 2013.
TakeOff and Quavo were still riding the high of their debut project as Unc & Phew, Only Built For Infinity Links, which was released on October 14. The release of the project sparked further speculation about the perceived rift between the Migos.
While they hinted that there might never be a reunion for the group, both Offset and Takeoff made it clear that their was no love lost between the real life relatives.
“I just feel like we want to see our career as a duo, you know what I’m saying?” Quavo said. “Because you know, we just came from a loyal family, shit that’s supposed to stick together. And sometimes, when shit don’t work out, it ain’t meant to be.”
Takeoff added: “We don’t know all the answers, you feel me? God knows. We pray a lot, you know? Whatever ain’t right and however you supposed to see it fit, you put it back together or however you do it, we pray. So only time will tell. We always family now, that ain’t gon’ change.”
As news of Takeoff’s passing began spreading across social media, it was immediately met with posts by artists including Gucci Mane, Killer Mike, Joe Budden, Lloyd Banks and Boosie Badazz expressing their shock and sadness. The loss continued to sink in, more tributes to the late Migos lyricist have poured in from the likes of Drake, Future, 21 Savage, Travis Scott, 2 Chainz and others.
On Thursday, Rap-A-Lot founder J. Prince shared his thoughts about the shooting after it was reported that his son, Jas Prince, had been with TakeOff and Quavo at some point during the hours that preceded the 28-year-old rapper’s death.
“I’ve been knowing Takeoff, Quavo and Offset for many years and there has been nothing but mutual love for one another and that ain’t going to ever change where we are concerned,” J. Prince wrote. “This shouldn’t have happened. This shouldnt have ever happened in our city. This shouldn’t have been recorded, and this damn sure shouldn’t be circulating across social media for family, friends and fans to see.”