The pair’s felony trial began earlier this week, and on Tuesday (December 12) Meg took the stand to reflect on the horrifying July 2020 night when the Toronto rapper and singer allegedly shot her five times in the feet.
“I’m in shock. I’m scared. I hear the gun going off, and I can’t believe he’s shooting at me,” Megan told the court.
While she was tending to her wounded foot in the back of the car alongside her friend Kelsey Harris, Tory allegedly offered them each $1 million to not report the incident to police as he was worried about violating his probation, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“Don’t say anything and I’ll give you a million dollars,” Meg recalled him saying. However, Tory’s attorney, George Mgdesyan, has disputed this claim, saying that his client was never even on probation.
Following the alleged incident, the L.A. County D.A.’s Office charged Tory Lanez with a felony count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm and one count of carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle in October 2020.
A third felony count was added at the December 5 proceedings when Tory was charged with “discharging a firearm with gross negligence.”
Elsewhere in Tuesday’s emotional testimony, Meg explained that she didn’t report the shooting to the police initially because of fears for Lanez’s safety and what cooperating with police could mean for her rap career.
“At this time we are at the height of police brutality… I felt if I said this man had shot me, they might shoot first and ask questions later,” she said not wanting to endanger Tory who she formerly had a relationship with.
“I don’t feel safe in the car. I don’t feel safe with the police. First of all, in the Black community, in my community, it’s not really acceptable to be cooperating with police officers.”
Meg is slated to be questioned by Tory’s legal team in the coming hours. The trial is expected to last for approximately 10 days. If convicted, Lanez faces up to 22 years and eight months behind bars.