According to Gillie Da Kid in a preview of the forthcoming episode of the Million Dollaz Worth Of Game podcast, the Houston music executive told him of the sit down before he and co-host Wallo agreed to have J. Prince on.
“When I got the call from you OG, you know: we was a little reluctant to do the interview,” Gillie starts out in the clip. “Because somebody lost they life, you know? It was a sensitive situation. So we talked and then when you alerted me that you had sat down with P from QC and everybody saw things eye-to-eye, that really had [us] like, ‘Ok cool, as long as you see eye-to-eye with the people that’s most close to him and y’all get everything figured out; then okay, you can come speak your truth.'”
Many people have been holding the Prince family responsible for TakeOff’s death, in light of the fact that he and Quavo were with Prince’s son J. Prince Jr. in the hours before the late Migos rapper’s death.
J. Prince & Quality Control’s P sat down to discuss Takeoff’s deathhttps://t.co/52WCdDsvQr
— HipHopDX (@HipHopDX) February 4, 2023
J. Prince issued a statement two days after TakeOff died in which he offered his condolences, spoke to his lengthy relationship with all three members of the Migos and addressed how widely footage from the scene of the shooting had been spread around.
The Rap-A-Lot Records founder also used the opportunity to distance himself from those responsible for the killing.
“I consider myself a man that’s quick to listen and slow to speak, therefore to whomever is responsible for putting that bullet in my little nephews head, let it be known that you can’t hide behind me, beside me or anywhere near me because I don’t tolerate dumb shit,” Prince wrote in an Instagram tribute to TakeOff. “I speak these words not knowing whos bullet is responsible for his death. With that being said, the root of this tragedy is foolish and has to be owned by the fool.”
However, the Prince family came under even more scrutiny when, in lieu of attending TakeOff’s funeral in Atlanta, they put up a tribute to the rapper outside 810 Billiards and Bowling — the site of his death — that most prominently featured their last name. Doves were also released in TakeOff’s honor.
“You would’ve thought J Prince Jr died but no…. This entire memorial is BS,” one user wrote on Twitter. Another tweeted: “J Prince should be ashamed of himself, why tf would you put y’all name in flowers at a Takeoff memorial site? Go tf to hell!!!”
J. Prince previously defended his son’s actions in the moments following the shooting, particularly video footage that gave the impression that J. Prince Jr. walked away from TakeOff’s body.
During an appearance on the Givin Them The Business podcast shared on January 9, the music executive explained that the viral clip of his son walking by TakeOff was merely a small glimpse at what was really going on.
“You know one of the biggest lies that was told — he walked by TakeOff body as if he was heartless and didn’t care,” J. Prince said. “And in reality, Junior, my cousin Michael that’s here with me, they was there with TakeOff from the beginning to the end. Even when they walked by, they took three seconds of an hour and some situation when Mike and Junior was walking by.”
He added that what J. Prince Jr. was in fact doing at that particular moment, was heading to a restroom to wash off the blood on his hands from him attending to the slain Atlanta rapper immediately after he had been shot.