Rumors legendary New York City DJ Kay Slay was losing his battle with COVID-19 started to circulate last week. But in an interview with HipHopDX, his biological twin brothers — Kwame and Michael Grayson — assured his fans and peers he was getting stronger. That’s not to say he’s completely out of the woods yet, but there’s been another promising development.

In a text to DX, Kwame said, “The doctors told us and mom that his eyes just opened today. It will be along time before he’s released from the hospital, but a long time is better than no time.”

Wack 100 propelled the rumors of Kay Slay’s impending death on social media with an Instagram post that read, ““Pray for my brotha @djkayslay. It’s not looking good. He might be mad at me for this those that know Slay but he needs all the support he can get … Been 14 days fighting Covid and he’s just be put on a ventilator . Keep him in your prayers Please.”

But hours later, the Grayson brothers were doing damage control, emphatically stating Kay Slay was showing signs of improvement.



“He’s definitely not going to die,” Kwame said on January 6. “I’m not going to lie, I was jumping around. I was definitely happy … He was slowly fading away, but God didn’t let that happen. Everything in time and when they found out who he was, they got him powered up again. So he’s up and going. He’s like in a recovery state, but he’s definitely not going to die. You can trust me on that.”

DJ Kay Slay's Brother Provides Promising Update On His COVID-19 Battle

Kwame also debunked the notion Kay Slay was placed on a ventilator, adding, “That was not a ventilator. I don’t know how they thought that, but it was not a ventilator he was on. It was a machine that was helping him breathe, but it was not a ventilator.



“I don’t know where they get this information. He was on a machine that was helping him breathe because he couldn’t breathe. A couple of days ago, he was in a state where everybody thought he really wasn’t going to make it.”

In a follow-up Facebook video, the Grayson duo reiterated Kay Slay wasn’t on a ventilator and explained it was actually an echo machine.

Watch it below.