50 Cent has threatened to expose the truth about what’s going on in the television industry while seemingly shading a New York media legend in the process.
On Sunday (March 25), Fif posted a pair of photos of veteran broadcaster Lisa Evers with a caption indicating that she had reached out to him with an interview request.
“This lady from Fox 5 News called asking if i would speak to her about my experience in television production,” he captioned the post. “I said like real behind the scenes, [eyes emoji] if she does this the Tv is going to go black [television emoji].”
Many of 50 Cent’s followers were left confused by the insinuation that he didn’t know who “this lady” was, despite Evers’ decades covering Hip Hop and issues impacting communities of color in New York City.
View this post on Instagram
Lisa Evers herself jumped into the conversation, leaving one of the over 700 comments 50 Cent’s post had gathered within just one hour.
“Whaaaat ???!!!” she wrote. “This lady [crying laughing emojis] is @lisaevers #fox5ny – same one who did your very first TV interview in 2003 ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin’ – same one who did a bunch of other interviews throughout your incredible career …. why you acting brand new? Lol Would love to tell this chapter of your story… meet me on Baisley Blvd South Jamaica …let’s talk.”
Several fans in the comments section were under the impression that 50 was being facetious in pretending that he didn’t recognize the NYC news fixture.
In addition to being the first reporter to speak to him on television, Lisa Evers has been hosting Hot 97’s popular weekly series Street Soldiers for more than 20 years. According to VIBE, in 2016 the show was picked up by Evers’ TV home, Fox 5 NY, where it also airs as a television program on Saturday nights.
As of this writing, 50 Cent had not returned to his post to address the questions about him failing to “put some respect” on Evers’ name, as many commenters stated. If the interview between the two New York staples does happen, Fif will have plenty to share now that he has cemented his position as a power player in the television industry.
In the past year, his growing media empire has expanded beyond the partnership with STARZ that brought about the Power franchise to include deals with multiple platforms, including Paramount+, ABC and Fox.
His success with the premium cable network continues to break records, however, despite the dissolution of the deal between G Unit & Television Inc. and STARZ in 2022. The latest Power spinoff, Power Book II: Ghost returned with its season three premiere last week and the STARZ juggernaut has broken another viewer record.
According to Deadline, the season three debut smashed STARZ’s previous premiere record with 5.8 million viewers across platforms through the first three days of availability since being released on March 17. The cumulative number is a huge jump compared to the estimated 362,000 live broadcast viewers that tuned in on Friday night.
The weekend viewership for season three’s multi-platform premiere was also reportedly up about 30 percent compared to season two’s debut in November 2021.
50 Cent also recently teased the possibility of multiple spin-offs of his second STARZ series, BMF, which is based on Detroit’s infamous Black Mafia Family.
In 2022, 50 Cent also partnered with Mona Scott-Young to bring the true crime series Hip-Hop Homicides to life at AMC Network’s WeTV; launched a three-project partnership with Lusid Media which is said to include an unscripted project due out on Peacock this year; and announced plans to develop an 8 Mile TV series to further Eminem’s legacy.
The Queens icon also signed a non-exclusive broadcast direct deal with FOX in February, that will see him “develop scripted dramas, live-action comedies and animated series” in partnership with his G-Unit Film & Television production company.