Tekashi 6ix9ine’s attorney Lance Lazzaro was pushing for time served in his client’s racketeering case earlier this week.
But Judge Paul A. Engelmayer didn’t agree with Lazzaro’s recommendation and sentenced the Dummy Boy mastermind to two years in prison plus five years supervised release.
Due to his 13 months already served, that would indicate a November 2020 release. But according Hollywood Life, who spoke with Lazzaro shortly after the hearing wrapped up, he could be out in July 2020 thanks to the 85 Percent Rule.
The 85 Percent Rule means after an offender has served at least 85 percent of their sentence and maintained a good institutional record while behind bars, they can be released for a period of post-release supervision.
“We are a little disappointed, we were expecting time served because that is what the parole board recommended, but it was in the judge’s hands,” Lazzaro said. “Daniel [Hernandez] will have to serve another seven months and 12 days because the time he’s already served will count towards his sentence.
“The best thing to come out of today was closure, he knows he’ll be home in July and then he can focus on rebuilding his career and relationships.”
Lazzaro also noted 6ix9ine was feeling deflated after the sentencing.
“He’s feeling a little down right now but he’s strong,” he said. “He’ll survive.” [apple_news_ad type=”any”]
6ix9ine plans to resume his once lucrative rap career as soon as he’s released, which Judge Engelmayer noted during Wednesday’s (December 18) proceedings.
He reportedly already signed a $10 million record contract, but it’s unclear if that will still be honored in the wake of his sentence.