Tory Lanez’s lawyer has claimed that they have information about the DNA proof used to convict him that shows his client is innocent of all charges.
The Canadian crooner (real name Daystar Peterson) was charged with shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the feet and was found guilty in December on all three counts levied against him. The charges included felony assault with a semiautomatic firearm, possession of a concealed, unregistered firearm, and discharging a firearm with gross negligence.
As Tory Lanez sits behind bars awaiting sentencing, his lawyer Jose Baez took to Instagram to say that his client will soon be coming forward with information that will prove his innocence but didn’t elaborate on what that information was.
“Today is national DNA day and we are happy to announce that Tory Lanez will be releasing information about the DNA in his case that gave false and misleading information to his jury #freetorylanez” Baez wrote on his Instagram Story.
— HipHopDX (@HipHopDX) April 25, 2023
While it’s unclear what Baez means by this, Forensic scientist Marc Scott Taylor previously told the court during trial that Tory Lanez’s DNA was not found on the magazine of the gun used to shoot Megan Thee Stallion, and that tests done on the DNA found on the gun itself were inconclusive.
Taylor’s testimony corroborated the Los Angeles Police Departments’ investigation and echoed statements made on the stand by criminalist Randy Zepeda, who was called by the prosecution earlier in the trial. However, Zepeda added that DNA is not always found, or even left behind, on objects.
Tory Lanez criminal trial was filled with memorable moments throughout its 10-day run. Kelsey Harris had been expected to corroborate Megan’s account of the moments that led up to her shooting, but instead delivered a statement that directly contradicted her testimony.
Whereas Megan Thee Stallion told the court that Tory had offered her $1million in exchange for her silence about what took place on the night of July 12, 2020, Kelsey Harris told both the prosecution and the defense that Tory Lanez had never offered her any money.
A witness named Sean Kelly also added a new angle with his testimony, alleging that he saw a woman shoot first while Lanez was still in the vehicle. “I believe I saw the girl shoot first,” he said. “[But] I believed it was fireworks.”
He also said Tory Lanez appeared to shoot as well. “I just saw he was very angry, shouting, and then the flashes then came from him. I never saw a gun,” Kelly said. “They were all fighting, so I just assumed he grabbed the gun.”
Megan Thee Stallion spoke for the last time about Tory Lanez shooting in an op-ed published with Elle, and said that all of the critics doubting her story almost put her over the edge.
“For years, my attacker laughed and joked about my trauma. For years, my attacker peddled false narratives about what happened on the night of July 12, 2020. For years, my attacker tried to leverage social media to take away my power,” Megan said.
“Imagine how it feels to be called a liar every day? Especially from a person who was once part of your inner circle.”
Tory Lanez, who opted not to testify, faces up to 22 years in prison and deportation to his native Canada. In a statement released from prison earlier this week, Tory pleaded with the Los Angeles County District Attorney to undo his “illegal” conviction.
“I write this message with the utmost humility, love, and respect for the remarkable stance you’ve taken in regards to fighting for the justice of Black and brown minorities,” he wrote in part. “Today I take a stance as an innocent Black man, wrongfully convicted of a crime I did not commit.
“I’ve watched 2 district attorneys from your office by the names of Kathy Ta and Alex Bott unlawfully misuse their authority to hide and suppress any and all exculpatory evidence that exonerates me, or furthers my innocence. I was completely robbed and deprived of a fair trial.”