Megan Thee Stallion’s bodyguard has allegedly claimed that Tory Lanez apologized for shooting his client.
According to Rolling Stone, Justin Edison claimed that Lanez apologized to him for shooting the “Savage” rapper while at his rental house a day after the alleged incident took place in July 2020. Lanez is said to have described the encounter as an “alcohol-fueled accident.”
Although Edison was not at the scene of the alleged shooting, he allegedly received a text from Megan’s former friend and assistant Kelsey Harris stating: “Help/Tory shot meg/911.”
Edison was scheduled to testify this week but stopped communicating with law enforcement officials and Megan Thee Stallion’s legal team.
During the court proceedings on Friday (December 16), a request was put into Judge David Herriford to release the “body attachment” (a type of warrant) by Los Angeles County Deputy District Attorney Alexander Bott. When giving his opening statement on Monday (December 12), Bott said that Edison was expected to testify about how Lanez allegedly pulled the trigger on that fateful night.
In a statement issued on Saturday (December 17) Megan The Stallion’s lawyer Alex Spiro said that Edison stopped communicating with law enforcement officials this week and he is currently being pursued.
“We recently learned that Justin Edison went missing right before he was scheduled to appear in court. The L.A. District Attorney is currently looking into his disappearance and welcomes any information on his whereabouts,” Spiro explained.
One Twitter user claimed that Edison was now a “missing person” and his statement was one of the major reasons that Tory was arrested.
“Megan’s bodyguard Justin Edison is now considered a missing person. He was supposed to testify yesterday,” the tweet began. “He’s the sole reason Tory got charged. He went to Tory’s house to get Megan’s things, he claim Tory confessed that he shot Meg and now he’s missing out of nowhere, yeah okay.”
Megan bodyguard Justin Edison is now considered a missing person. He was supposed to testify yesterday.
He's the sole reason Tory got charged. He went to Tory house to get Megan's things, he claim Tory confessed that he shot Meg and now he's missing out of nowhere, yeah okay 🙄 pic.twitter.com/qh0JzRQDoM
— Anthony (@AlphaBandito_) December 17, 2022
In response to his absence, the Los Angeles Police Department told TMZ that there’s been no missing person’s case filed for Edison.
The trial has taken many twists and turns since commencing earlier this month, with numerous new details emerging about the incident. On Friday (December 16) Forensic scientist Marc Scott Taylor told the court that Tory Lanez’s DNA was not found on the magazine of the gun and that tests done on the DNA found on the gun itself were inconclusive.
Srinivasan Rathinam, a firearms expert who was also called by the prosecution said that because of the number of shell casings recovered and the amount of force it would take to fire the 9mm luger caliber firearm believed to have been used in the alleged shooting, he could/would not call the incident accidental.
“If you just tap the trigger, it won’t fire, you need to pull the trigger all the way down. I’m not sure whether I can call this an accident,” Rathinam testified.
On Wednesday (December 14), Harris recanted on a statement she gave to prosecutors back in September. When asked about the “Tory shot Meg” text message, she claimed it was sent based on her assumption of what she believed took place.
“She said she DID hear gunshots that night, but she denied seeing Megan limping,” Law & Crime reporter Meghann Cuniff tweeted.
Because of Harris’ testimony, Los Angeles County Assistant District Attorney requested that her entire original statement be played in court.
Tory has pleaded not guilty to three felony charges: assault with a firearm causing great bodily injury; concealing a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle; and discharging a firearm with gross negligence. If convicted, he faces more than 22 years in prison.