Eric Holder, the man accused of killing Nipsey Hussle last year, has yet to stand trial for the brutal slaying of the beloved rap figure. And with yet another delay, it looks like it could be awhile before Holder sees the inside of a courtroom again.
According to New York Daily News, Holder — wearing a yellow jail shirt, blue pants and waist shackles — appeared in court on Tuesday (December 1) in Los Angeles where Judge Robert J. Perry announced it would be at least three months before his trial would begin.
“I really don’t how we can realistically expect to see this case go to trial anytime in the next 90 days or more,” Perry said. “Mr. Holder, I don’t know what to tell you except that the court system and this county are plagued by a sickness that we call the COVID virus, and the court system has been very much impacted.
“You have the right to a speedy trial. What counsel is suggesting is that we have you come back on the 21st of January and see where we are and try to have a trial within 30 days of the 21st, but you’ve heard my comments, I don’t think that’s going to happen.”
When Perry asked if that was “OK” with Holder, he replied, “Yes sir.”
Neighborhood Nip was gunned down with a barrage of bullets on March 31, 2019 outside of the Marathon Clothing Store on Slauson Avenue in South Central Los Angeles. Gunshot wounds included a shot to his right chest, a shot to the abdomen near his navel which severed his spine, another wound to the right side of his back that penetrated into his chest and struck his lung, and another one to “the posterior top” of his scalp. He was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Holder was taken into custody two days later and has remained behind bars ever since.
Subsequently, a grand jury indicted Holder on one count of murder, two counts each of attempted murder and assault with a firearm and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon. In May 2019, the 30-year-old pleaded not guilty for a second time.
Transcripts obtained by the Daily News reveal witnesses at the scene said a discussion of “snitching” and “paperwork” preceded the fatal incident. Deputy District Attorney John McKinney told the grand jury the remarks led Holder to leave, return and then fire at least 10 rounds into Nip with both a semiautomatic handgun and a revolver.
If convicted, Holder faces life in prison.