New Orleans, LA – Darnell Jordan, another key witness in C-Murder’s 2002 homicide case, has recanted his story.
According to The Times-Picayune, Jordan said he was “scared” of the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office and believes he was “tricked” into identifying the No Limit rapper (real name Corey Miller) as 16-year-old Steven Thomas’ killer.
On Monday (July 2), Jordan filed a hand-written letter with the 24th Judicial District Court that read, “I am certain that Corey Miller did not shoot Steve Thomas.”
At the time of the shooting, Jordan worked as a bouncer at New Orleans’ Platinum Club where the incident occurred. He testified at both the original trial and 2009 retrial.
Kenneth Jordan (no relation to Darnell Jordan) was the first key witness to recant his story late last month.
“I want him to know I’m not upset with him,” C-Murder told WDSU on June 28. “I’m proud of him. And me and my family, and my daughters. My daughters, we thank him. For real. This is a life-changing moment.
“I’m not gonna lie. These last 16 years have been a definite struggle. I’ve been snatched away from my family, separated from my kids, from my career, everything. And I just want it back. My heart hasn’t smiled since I’ve been locked up for 16 years, and I just want them to know that my heart is smiling,”
C-Murder wants his conviction thrown out. He’s currently serving a life sentence at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola.
[This article has been updated. The original version was published on June 26, 2018 and can be found below.]
A key witness in C-Murder’s homicide case has reportedly changed his story and now, the New Orleans rapper wants his conviction thrown out.
In an affidavit filed with the 24th Judicial Court, Jordan reportedly said, “I know the individual that I saw shoot the gun was not Corey Miller.”
#Repost @504fiend June 27, 2018 Everyone that want to see this man #FREE from prison retuned to his family NOW should watch #ReasonableDoubt #idchannel #CoreyMiller @trucmurder #McKinleyPhipps @macphippsofficial #Share #Share #Repost #Repost @mindofmystikal #MicheaTyler @nolanews @discoverychannel @discovery_id @detective_christopher_anderson
Attorney Paul Baker also alleges Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office detectives and prosecutors on the case pushed Jordan to make false statements by threatening him with criminal charges in an unrelated incident.
“He was really their star witness at the second trial,” Baker said. “Without him, him they don’t get a conviction.”
Baker filed a memorandum seeking a new trial for the No Limit solider.
He was convicted in 2009.