In an interview with DJ Whoo Kid on Tuesday (July 11), the West Coast rap legend acknowledged Biggie’s brilliance, as well as the fact that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but also reminded Yayo and others about his storytelling pedigree over the last 30-plus years — not just as an MC.
“It’s subjective,” Cube said. “Everybody got they favorites. I put my stories up against anybody and I have a bigger sample size. But at the end of the day, everybody is going to have their different opinion. I love Biggie, I’m a fan of Biggie.
“I’ve wrote records for Eazy and N.W.A. And look, when we talking about storytelling, are we talking about rhyming? Because I write movies too, so I’m a hell of a storyteller. I can tell a damn story. So are we just talking about rap? That’s only a portion of what I do.”
He concluded by saying: “Look, to be in that conversation, I’m winning already.”
Ice Cube’s response comes shortly after Tony Yayo and DJ EFN engaged in a spirited debate over who’s the better storyteller between Cube and Biggie during an episode of Drink Champs that aired this past weekend.
When EFN declared that Ice Cube was his pick, Yayo was in pure disbelief, asking the Drink Champs co-host if Cube had better verses than Biggie, to which he emphatically said: “Yeah.”
From there, after EFN said Ice Cube’s 1991 diss record, “No Vaseline” from Death Certificate, was better than Biggie’s 1997 track, “N-ggas Bleed,” off of Life After Death, chaos ensued.
“This is why I hate this industry shit,” the G-Unit solder said. “So you telling me Ice Cube is a better storyteller than Biggie? You fucking buggin’! You lost your fucking mind!”
The two men continued to debate over which artist reigned supreme before Yayo admitted that Cube was “fire.”
Meanwhile, Ice Cube recently opened up about the NBA’s alleged efforts to sabotage his BIG3 basketball league as he kickstarted his “Fuck The Gatekeepers Podcast Tour.”
The Hip Hop Hall-of-Famer joined The Joe Rogan Experience late last month, where he claimed that the NBA has attempted to influence potential sponsors and broadcast networks to not partner with his three-on-three league.
“We’re not trying to compete in any shape or form with the NBA. We’re very complimentary,” he said. “So I don’t understand the things that’s being done behind the scenes. Encouraging people to not sponsor us. Encouraging networks not to play us.”
Cube explained that his growing basketball league, which he launched in 2017, will have to fight back against the NBA’s alleged campaign for it to survive and thrive in the future.
“We’ve been able to survive but at a certain point it’s just redundant and ridiculous and we gotta fight back in some shape or form,” he added.