Australian-based rapper Sampa The Great has dropped her first studio album, The Return. The 19-track LP is her debut for Ninja Tune and the follow-up to 2017’s Birds & The BEE9 mixtape.
The Zambian MC told HipHopDX the album was inspired by her desire to bridge the gap between Australia, the place where she’s established herself as an artist, and her native Zambia.
“A lot of people from home where I was born and raised didn’t really know about my professional career,” she explained to DX. “It always felt like two separate Sampas, basically … I still felt that sense of incompleteness because these two worlds hadn’t met.”
Check out Sampa’s The Return stream, cover art and tracklist below.
1. Mwana f. Mwanje Tembo, Theresa Mutale Tembo & Sunburnt Soul Choir
3. Wake Up (Interlude)
4. Time’s Up f. Krown
5. Grass Is Greener
6. Dare to Fly f. Ecca Vandal
7. Any Day f. Whosane
9. Light It Up (Interlude)
10. Final Form
11. Heaven f. Whosane
12. Diamond in the Ruff f. Thando & Krown
13. Leading Us Home
14. Summer f. Steam Down
15. Brand New f. SILENTJAY
16. Give Love (Interlude)
17. The Return f. Thando, Jace XL, Alien & Whosane
18. Don’t Give Up f. Mandarin Dreams
19. Made Us Better f. Blue Lab Beats, Boadi & Lori