Hip Hop artists and activists from around the country are calling for a nationwide school walk out this Monday, Oct. 1 to show support and solidarity for the Jena 6.
Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and M-1 of dead prez will be joined by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement (MXGM), the National Hip Hop Political Convention, Change the Game, Sankofa Community Empowerment, and other organizations from more than 50 college campuses.
The walk out will take place at noon, Central Time.
Mos Def—an outspoken supporter of the Jena 6—is calling for students world wide to assist in the fight against the human rights violations and the unequal treatment the six teens face at the hands of the Louisiana criminal justice system.
In a statement released to the press, MXGM is calling for the following in addition to Monday's rally:
1. All charges against the Jena 6 be dropped
2. The immediate release of Mychal Bell
3. The United States Department of Justice to convene an immediate inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the arrests and prosecutions of the Jena 6;
4. Judge Mauffray to be recused from presiding over Bell's juvenile court hearings or other proceedings;
5. The Louisiana Office of Disciplinary Counsel to investigate Reed Walters for unethical and possibly illegal conduct;
6. The Louisiana Judiciary Commission investigate Judge Mauffray for unethical conduct; and
7. The Jena School District superintendent to be removed from office.
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or to add your school to the list of campuses, contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Individuals who are not students are encouraged to wear black.