Jay Z released a statement yesterday (November 15) saying that he is set to move forward with his Barneys partnership as he awaits the findings of investigations launched regarding racial profiling by the company.
"In the past several weeks two separate investigations were launched as a result of the wrongful detention of Trayon Christian and Kayla Phillips," Jay Z said in the statement posted on lifeandtimes.com. "My team has been privy to the status of the Barneys third party consultant investigation. In continuing our research, we also contacted the New York State Attorney General’s office for the status of their investigation into both Barneys and Macy’s. Those findings are not yet available."
"While I await the findings of the Attorney General’s Office, I have agreed to move forward with the launch of BNY SCC collection under the condition that I have a leadership role and seat on a council specifically convened to deal with the issue of racial profiling," Jay continued in the statement. "I am in a unique position to use my voice to affect change to this disturbing issue. The easy position would have been to walk away and leave policy making to others hoping that someone addresses the problem. I will not leave the outcome to others. I will take this into my own hands with full power to recommend, review and revise policies and guidelines moving forward. I am choosing to take this head on."
In October, the New York Daily News reported two separate incidents in which Barneys allegedly committed discrimination against two African American customers Jay Z named in his recent statement, Trayon Christian, 19, and Kayla Phillips, 21. Both alleged victims said they were questioned by New York Police Department officials as suspects of credit card fraud.
Also in October, Brooklyn, New York resident Derick Bowers launched a petition asking Jay Z to cut ties with Barneys as a result of the racial profiling allegations.
Shortly after the petition was launched, Jay Z spoke on the matter with a statement.
“I move and speak based on facts and not emotion," Jay Z said. "I haven’t made any comments because I am waiting on facts and the outcome of a meeting between community leaders and Barneys. Why am I being demonized, denounced and thrown on the cover of a newspaper for not speaking immediately? The negligent, erroneous reports and attacks on my character, intentions, and the spirit of this collaboration have forced me into a statement I didn’t want to make without the full facts. Making a decision prematurely to pull out of this project, wouldn’t hurt Barneys or Shawn Carter, but all the people that stand a chance at higher education. I have been working with my team ever since the situation was brought to my attention to get to the bottom of these incidents and at the same time find a solution that doesn’t harm all those that stand to benefit from this collaboration."
Jay Z's The Shawn Carter Foundation Slated To Receive 100 Percent Of All Sales From Barneys Partnership
In this week's statement, Jay Z also said that The Shawn Carter Foundation is set to receive 100 percent of all sales from the Barneys partnership.
Previously, it was announced that Jay Z's foundation would receive 25 percent of sales.
"It will now receive the additional 75% of Barneys’ sales, totalling 100% of all sales from BNY SCC," Jay Z said in his most recent statement. "Along with 100% of sales from the collaboration, the Foundation will receive an additional 10% of all retail sales from Barneys New York stores nationwide and Barneys.com on November 20th."